Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The long and winding (wrong) road

I suppose this post should go under they don't listen or pay attention. I will try not to be long winded about it.

Yesterday (we're open because we're in the supply chain for water and wastewater businesses) I had a customer call me and ask about sectional cables. I said that 8 ft. cables were $52 and 10 ft. were $60 and that we had both in stock. I told him those numbers explicitly, and I emphasize that because you, dear reader, will need to know it. Then he asked where we were, a quite logical question as he had never been to our Shop before. I told him 4850 Rosa Parks, between Hancock and Warren. "If you get to Warren you've gone too far," I advised him. Rosa Parks is a one way heading north where we are, so you come to Hancock before Warren unless you're going the wrong way. He repeated, "So you're between Hancock and Rosa Parks?"

You got all that?

So an hour later as I'm headed to the bank he calls. "I'm at Warren and Rosa Parks but I can't see you," he explains.

"You should from there. Look over your right shoulder for a big gray building." Our Shop is clearly visible from the corner of Warren and Rosa Parks.

"All I see is big plastic house like where they grow plants."

This didn't help me know where he was other than that I knew he was not where he said he was. There is no greenhouse at Warren and Rosa Parks. I'm sorry, there is no big plastic house like where they grow plants at Warren and Rosa Parks. "I'm driving but I'll swing around to Rosa Parks and look for you. What are you driving?"

"A maroon van."

So I swung around to where I would turn onto Rosa Parks well below my Shop. And I see a maroon van sitting at Forest and Rosa Parks, south of Hancock, right next to a greenhouse. I had forgotten one was there, but the key thing is he was not at Warren and Rosa Parks as he claimed. "You're at Forest and Rosa Parks," I said, trying not to sound like I was talking down to him. I had kept our conversation open as the phone lay on the seat next to me.

"Yeah, Forest and Rosa Parks, right." Whaddaya mean right? You quite definitely told me you were at Warren and Rosa Parks.

"I'm in a black van. I'll come around you and lead you in." This I did.

So now that he's finally at my Shop I ask, "So which do you prefer: 8 or 10 foot cables?"

"Uh, I need the 15 foot cables," he stammered.

15 foot cables are made by a competitor. "I don't have those. Our cables are not compatible; I'm sorry," I replied.

"Oh, okay. I'll go somewhere else. Sorry to bother you,"

"No problem," I responded. It didn't bother so much as it left me stupefied. I told him expressly what we had and exactly where we were and neither point registered with him. It wasted his efforts more than mine. But what are you gonna do?


No comments: