Monday, March 8, 2021

Blocking (not football)

You ever looked at someone and wondered, 'What in the world are they do doing?' I know I've been looked at that way.

There. I beat you to it.

But anyway, yesterday as I left my house to hike down the block to me Mom's, there was a car stopped right smack in the middle of the intersection at the corner where I live. Right smack in the middle. I bet we could have gotten rulers and measured it out. It could not have been off by much. It effectively had both streets blocked.

Still, you think, okay, maybe it stalled. So I decided to approach the driver (I could see a woman behind the wheel) and offer to push it to the curb behind where my car was parked in front of my house. You know, get the hell out of the middle of the intersection.

As I neared I could hear that the driver was in a rather animated conversation over her cell phone. But before I could get too close the car started (I think it was one of them newfangled vehicles which stall the engine when you put on the brake and restart when you let you foot off) without the woman taking her hands from her phone or the steering wheel. She began creeping down the street, still yammering along.

But then she got to the next intersection and stopped right in the middle of it. I know because she was headed towards Mom's house just like I was by then. She stood there talking for about a minute then went on.

It must have been a hell of a debate. But pull over and talk if it's all that, eh, lady?

No comments: