Monday, March 15, 2021

Monday morning philosophy

I didn't see the Grammy Awards last night, not one minute. There are few current TV shows which I watch, and even those I tend to miss and have to pull up On Demand. And even then I get behind.

Just the same, I don't feel as though I miss anything important. There are days where I believe that everything is simply passing fancy. I don't mean that as a bad thing either, nor do I mean it in any particularly judgmental way, or to be a downer. I'm just not impressed by fads. And far too much of what goes on is, in this or any time, exactly that: a fad.

I prefer the timeless to the current. Give me baseball or golf or curling ahead of cornhole. Tolkien means more to me than Game of Thrones because he speaks to the big questions. I doubt that Game of Thrones does, although to be fair I haven't seen a second of it, as is my wont.

I get more out of reading C. S. Lewis' The Abolition of Man for the thirtieth time than I expect I would get from reading the first thing by a current author, though to be fair I don't pay much attention to current authors either. Unless, that is, they tie into Lewis or Tolkien. That is a small and relatively unknown faction.

We tend to make our current times too important. That's understandable enough: they are our times, they are the times we live in, and to that point they are necessarily important. Still, where they don't interact with the timeless, if they aren't seen as part of a bigger picture, I wonder how truly important they are at all.

There's bit of (perhaps) heavy philosophy for you on a Monday morning. Have a good week.

No comments: