Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Athlete's rhythm

We Cosgriffs, we walk fast and with a mild waddle. That's just how we are. We're so much that way in fact that it's hard to walk slow. I mean it.

I turned my ankle one day last week. No, I did not hurt it while taking it out my mouth, yes, ha, ha, quite witty of you. I enjoy jocularity. 

Anyway, I twisted it while hiking around the neighborhood last week in my normal, Cosgriff pace. But I hit a curb wrong and had to stay off my left ankle for a while. Thursday I could hardly put weight on it, although there was no swelling.

I tried walking Saturday and Sunday yet within a few feet - a few feet, ha, ha, now I'm witty - it was obvious that a regular walk wasn't in the offing for a couple more days. Yet this morning I figured it was time to get back out there. But I would walk slower. You know, get exercise but don't put too much pressure on the ankle. Work my way back up to normal. Like an athlete. Yes, exactly like an athlete.

That's where I found out that walking slower was a chore when you're used to walking fast. Typically I walk nine blocks in around eleven minutes. Yes, I count the blocks. I always have in order to know my pace with regard to time. Today it took me fourteen plus minutes to hike nine blocks. It was agonizing. Still, I managed to walk close to an hour at that rate. 

And now back at home my ankle feels fine. So hopefully it's all for the better. 

No comments: