Friday, October 1, 2021

Dropping In

A family member dropped in out of the blue yesterday, and it made my day.  I'm rather tickled that he felt comfortable enough to do it.

It seems to me, and perhaps I'm remembering poorly but I think it's true, that at one point people were okay simply dropping by. Oh, I don't doubt that many folks still are, but it feels to me as though it's a practice not so prevalent as it once was.

I know me Grandpa Joe was good for that. If he wanted to see someone he went and saw them, to the point of stopping by when in North Carolina to visit me Grandpaw Hutchins just to do it. Just because it was a good thing to do. Now our lives have become so scheduled that perhaps too many of us don't feel right simply stopping by to see friends and family.

That's too bad. We miss deeper friendships when we don't feel free to drop in.

But maybe I'm just becoming that old man who thinks things aren't as good as they used to be. Still, I wonder.

No comments: