Sunday, December 12, 2021

Bait Snake

As most of you likely know by now, I sell and repair drain snakes. They are the steel cable machines used to open various drains. 

We have a shop, colloquially called the Shop or the Old Barn, where we store new units and the ones left for repair. The Shop (or the Old Barn, if you prefer) is well secure. We have four locks on the door, an alarm on the building, and we even run heavy chains with locks through the machines we have on hand inside, all just to make things as theft proof as possible.

A few weeks ago I bought out the remains of an old plumbing store. There wasn't much, but there were some cables I could use or resell. And I bought an old drain cleaning machine which wasn't worth much. In fact, the company which made it is out of business. But I bought it anyway.

Back at the Shop me brother Phil asked incredulously, "What'd you buy that for? We can't get parts or anything. It's obsolete."

"True," I responded, "But you know how there was that old TV show called Bait Car, where the police rigged a car so that they could catch car thieves?"

"Yeah."

"This will be our bait snake. We'll leave it unlocked and if any thief gets this far into our building in a late night robbery attempt, maybe he'll just grab it and leave the rest alone, seeing them locked."

Yes, we have a Bait Snake. Think I can talk Tru TV into a new reality show?

No comments: