Thursday, August 4, 2022

Cheap Isn't Always Good

Contrary to my reputation I am not cheap. I may be frugal. Me Grandma Cosgriff's Scotness may sometimes rise within me (I can hear her saying, quietly but simply, 'I won't pay it', if she thought a price too high) and cause me not to buy something. But I don't actually mind spending more money when it's necessary.

Gas prices are bad and we ought to be upset with them, because they don't need to be what they've been lately (over $5 a gallon, as most of you know). But I have to drive for my job, so I may as well not fret it too much. There's a point at which you just have to pay and move on. You can and should express your anger in other ways and through other forums. As to the day in and day out of life, well, it is what it is and you just gotta deal with it.

Then, too, some things aren't worth a cheaper price. I will never buy dollar store razors again: all they do is scratch and pull and leave you with a styptic pencil chasing the small cuts appearing on your face as though you're trying to corral cats. If you simply want plastic tumblers for everyday use, go to the dollar store. But spend a bit extra on your shaving needs.

Don't be going too far the other way either. I have friends who believe that if they're not paying top dollar they're not getting quality products and service. They don't consider that some companies have a 'marketing plan' predicated on the upsell. Try not to fall for that.

There's my advice today on personal economics. Use this power wisely. Now excuse me as I go out to buy razor blades.




No comments: