Thursday, August 11, 2022

Mar-A-Lago May Have Changed My Mind

I wanted to write a more regular blog this morning. I truly did. Lighthearted and fun are lighthearted and fun, and generally more enjoyable that serious and staid. Yet when something serious needs to be said it needs to be said, and I don't want to shy away from that. Trouble is, I don't know exactly what to say here.

A former President's home has been invaded by warrant. This is entirely unprecedented in American history. That admittedly doesn't mean it's wrong. Yet it equally admittedly doesn't mean it's right.

I know I don't like it, at least so far. I meant what I said yesterday: they better find something. And it better be publicly explained unless it absolutely would offend security. That, though, is a veil which I fear will be used, please excuse the trifling puniness, liberally, and would not be a satisfactory explanation of what's going on.

I don't like that either. No matter how legitimate it might sometimes be, government secrecy quite naturally reeks of little more than covering one's...tail.

On the surface this has all the marks of a witch hunt. Maybe it is not, maybe they found things which ought to be in the National Archives and all is on the level. But considering all the other witch hunts, 2016 collusion among them, can you blame conservative elements for lacking trust in government agencies?

Somewhat ironically, and I can only speak for myself, my support for President Trump had been fading the last two years. I have not wanted him to run in 2024. I had been cringing at what possible effect his endorsements might have in this year's elections, that they might cost Republicans a real chance at the House and Senate in November this year. I believe his intransigence cost us the Senate in 2020, quite frankly. The President should have accepted the 2020 results readily and changed his aim to the future rather than being obstinate in the present. I can't help but feel his pomposity cost us both Georgia Senate seats. We would not have the monstrously labelled Inflation Reduction Act if we kept either of those chairs, and I think it's Trump's fault we didn't. Trump is in far too many ways a lout, and I was ready to be rid of him. Be honest, now: he's the right's Hillary, and we were reaching the point where his negatives outweighed his positives.

Then this happens. If they don't find something big, if they don't find something that is genuinely in the national interest, or cannot at least explain their actions adequately, then damn it all, he may just get my vote again. And it would be because of actions such as the Mar-A-Lago raid.

No comments: