Friday, September 2, 2022

Loud Bass

Towards the end of a long day on the road Wednesday, when I was about 30 miles away from the old barn, I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel of my new old van. Nuts, I thought. Probably a wheel out of balance. Maybe it's thrown a weight, or a layer of tread had come loose. Hopefully it would get me home, and I could wait until tomorrow to visit the tire shop.

Yet this vibration began acting particularly odd. It had a beat, an honest to goodness beat. It actually throbbed: boom, buh-da-boom. Boom, buh-da-boom. It repeated itself over and over. I can't say I ever had that reaction from a car before.

The vibration steadily become more emphatic, more intense. Soon I was actually hearing a musical bass line exactly in time with the vibration. Boom, buh-da-boom. Boom, buh-da-boom, it went on. The beat matched the vibration precisely.

That's when I realized I was approaching a Honda Accord with its windows rolled up and dark tinted. The closer I got, the more profoundly the bass line droned and the more harshly my steering wheel vibrated. 

Dude, I could care less what music you listen to. I've even been know to turn my own car radio way up and lose myself in a song with a pronounced, driving (ha, ha) beat. But when your sound system is so loud and your bass up so high that it's causing vibrations in cars passing you on Interstate 94 at better than 70 miles per hour, I only have one thing to say.

It's. Too. Loud. That can't even be comfortable for you. 

No comments: