Saturday, August 5, 2023

Dragnet Ageism

So yesterday I spoke about the old TV show Dragnet, right? But I didn't say anything about the episode which was on, only commenting on the intro. Yet I did watch the show, and I was not pleased.

During the course of an investigation Friday and Gannon found themselves in a home where a murder occurred. They questioned a young woman who lived there. "Does anyone else live here?" Joe Friday asked.

"Only my frail old mother," he was told.

"I'd like to question her."

"Well, all right, but be considerate. She's old and frail. She's 62," the daughter explained.

At hearing that I thought, old and frail? 62 is old and frail? What kind of ageism is this? 

It didn't help that the actress playing the mom actually looked about 85. Still, what did they think of seniors in 1968 that 62 was old and frail? 

My being 63 has absolutely nothing to do with my indignation either.

No comments: