Monday, August 14, 2023

Just Stay Away

Years ago I remarked to a curling friend that I didn't know how I could ever quit curling. "That's easy. Just don't go into a curling club," he responded. When you want stop doing something, simply quit going where it is.

What he said makes sense. In fact, I find it generally true. In recent years I've found that even things I truly love like baseball, I don't miss when I stop paying attention. Then, like yesterday, I go to a baseball game, and all the old feelings and anticipation are right back in front of me. All I want to do is enjoy the game. Immediately at the end all I want is to go to another game.

I haven't swung a club since before COVID and, although I do intend to golf again at some point, I can't say I miss it. Yet I don't doubt that the first time back I'll feel exactly like I did yesterday when I walked into that baseball stadium in Lansing. I don't doubt that when I hit the ice this fall in the curling league I've committed to all the old curling vibes will be right back, front and center, although I haven't played regularly in several years.

We humans are, I think, fickle beings. Sometimes it reaches the point where we even forget what we like until we are reminded by sights and smells and remembrance of things past. But if you ever do want to stop doing something, just stop. It seems to work.

No comments: