Tuesday, August 1, 2023

By Its Cover

I really am happy to be getting so many positive reviews for my books. I really am. The response has been far better than I had hoped. Yet sometimes I get a review which puzzles me.

As a courtesy I won't name names or even identify which book. But a certain reviewer absolutely raved about how great my book was. Great characters, great writing, great background; they seemed very ecstatic about it. So much so that I was confused at only being given four starts out of five. 

Then at the end of the review they said all that makes them give it only four stars was the dull and uninviting cover. I must admit I did a wait, what? This is a spectacular book which you demote one star because of the cover? But I thought you couldn't judge books by their cover, as me brother Phil pointed out. 

Reviewer, you sure didn't seem to mind the story as it was by the way you heaped praise on it. But I'm debited a star because of the graphics? Such things have never stopped me from enjoying a book or not. I never once said or thought, great book even with that lackluster cover. Even if I were to concede that a better cover would be nice, and perhaps so (other critics have expressed the same thought), I just don't get that at all.

No comments: