Saturday, June 1, 2019

Did you not hear me?

Over the years of repairing drain snakes, I've had to replace a few motors. Having a bit of a lazy streak, I have allowed most of the bad motors to accumulate in a pile at the back the old barn. Eventually I'll take them to the junk yard, but for for now, they just sit there.

About a week ago a customer was looking them over and asked about one in particular. It was a fresh addition to my collection, one I had replaced only a day or so before. It looked fairly new in fact, although it was about ten years old. "What's wrong with this one?" he inquired.

"The windings are bad. It heats up and blows fuses," I explained.

He asked, "Can I have it? I'm good at fixing things."

I let him have it. "Sure. Knock yourself out." He wasn't going to be able to fix it, but whatever. It would be out of my hair.

Yesterday he returned to the Shop for a couple of things. At one point he proudly said, "You know that motor I got from you? I got it running."

Admittedly if only vaguely impressed, I responded, "Cool."

"But one thing: it heats up in about two minutes and cuts out my breaker. Why do you suppose is that?"

My response was an exasperated and obvious, "The windings are bad."

"Oh, okay. I'll play with is some more," he said.

Play with it all you want, buddy. But you won't be able fix it; the windings are bad. Just like I told you.

No comments: