Friday, November 22, 2019

Gas cap odometer

Just when I figure I can't have anything more unusual happen to one of my famed Cosgriff cars, something more unusual happens. On my new old van rather than the mileage appearing on the odometer, the odometer says gascap.

The van's been running fine. Indeed I ignored it for a few weeks (I first noticed it before Halloween). The cap seemed to be on snugly, so as is my normal approach to all things mechanical if ain't broke I don't fix it.

Still, as it was so highly unusual even for me I did eventually stop by my mechanic for his opinion. Do you know what he told me? "Don't worry about it. The seal probably isn't perfect and the sensor is picking that up. Sand around the end of the neck where the cap goes if you like, but it won't hurt anything."

I have long believed that far too many of our warnings are overwrought. This incident, if it qualifies as an incident, ahem, seals the deal for me. All these warning lights just cause us to panic unnecessarily. If there's a real problem you'll know without much of a hint.

It was Saturday when I saw my mechanic. I still haven't sanded the thing and I'm not sure I ever will.

No comments: