Saturday, November 2, 2019

Being silly on Saturday

One of my favorite cartoons as a kid was Scooby Doo, Where are You! According to Wikipedia, that pseudo-trustworthy source of information, the series began in 1969. Why an exclamation point rather than a question mark was used in the title I'll leave to the professional grammarians for debate. They seem to love such argumentation.

Anyway, it was the first TV show that I remember making it a point to watch. True, nine year old kids in that day lived for Saturday mornings as at that time Saturday mornings were devoted to kids programming. But I woke up early in those days specifically to make sure I didn't miss an episode, even though I don't think it was on until mid-morning, 9:30 or 10, something like that. I liked the show that much.

Everyone knows that Scooby along with Shaggy are the comic relief in the series. But I think Scooby was in fact, in some secret life, and emergency room doctor. Just listen to the lyrics: the second verse starts with, "Come on Scooby Doo, ICU." As in, to the ICU, stat, doctor.

As though he was needed, immediately, for his medical expertise.

Like he had to rush straight away to help some poor soul in physical distress.

You know, doctors, ICU, puns, plays on words and so on?

I, I'll stop now. I know I'm forcing it.

No comments: