Saturday, June 13, 2020

No good deed

A customer had not one but two units shipped to him which were, unfortunately, defective. The base plates were not properly machined out on either one. Consequently, I picked them up to make corrections. So it goes; all things made by human hands are subject to issues. It's part of the job.

He had repacked the units into the shipping cartons so that I had to unpack them at the Shop. No big deal: it only takes an extra thirty seconds to remove them. I start with one, replacing the defective part. But rather than repack again I thought I'd just assemble the machines for the customer. It would save him time and be good customer service. And, why repack, right? I proceeded to completely assemble unit one.

That done, I unpacked unit two. I discovered that the hardware, the nuts and bolts and clips and what not which are necessary to put the thing together, were not there. Either they hadn't came from the factory or, more likely, the customer had inadvertently not included them in his repackaging of the machine.

What's a fellow to do? I wasn't about to disassemble the first one because I couldn't more easily assemble the second. I went to my own supplies for the various items and put unit two together. All the while giggling that no good deed goes unpunished.

First World problems, eh?


No comments: