Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Section 504

One of the nicer things which the corona panic has brought about has been the replaying of big games in local sports history. Last night I watched a replay of the final major league baseball game at Detroit's Tiger Stadium. I enjoyed it so much I watched the replay of the replay at two this morning. It's not conducive to a good night's sleep, but it was worth it.

I was there with my family that day, September 27, 1999. I had not seen the game since. We sat in Section 504, Row M, Seats 11-15. They were in left field, which gave us a perfect view of Robert Fick crushing the grand slam which sealed the win. I screamed, "Go, Go!" all the way until the ball hit the right field roof. Then I screamed even louder in, no hyperbole here, thanksgiving, because I knew the game was over. The home club simply can't lose its last game in a grand old ballpark.

As player from all eras were introduced and paraded onto the field afterwards, I saw so many heroes from my youth. Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, came out first. He ran to the pitching mound, getting on his knees to groom it as he did as a player, and produced a baggie to fill with mound dirt. Willie Horton cried unashamedly as he jogged out to his left field position. The recently departed Al Kaline, after helping in the broadcast booth during the telecast, had perhaps the loudest cheers as he walked to the right field spot he owned for two decades.

We stayed after for as long as we were allowed, even getting to catch a final view from the bleachers at my oldest son's behest. The usher was just locking the gate, but he let us in. I don't think he wanted to yet I believe he appreciated our wish.

So there you have it. A game I haven't seen in twenty years I watched twice in one night. Maybe something good has come out of things after all.

No comments: