Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Politics Not Aside

I have never unfriended anyone on Facebook because of political or philosophic differences. Not once. But as of a few minutes ago I have been unfriended by a least three people in the past few months for just that. I suspect there have been more. That's just sad, especially as they're all folks whom I had always respected. I still do. It's bewildering.

I know myself well enough to know that I can come on strong, and that even at times to have been simply bull headed or patently unfair. When I realize my sin or am properly called out, I apologize, and try to do better. I don't know what else there is to do.

It can be a struggle, especially with things near and dear to ourselves. But if we can't stay friends even after pointed exchanges on important subjects, well, I'm at a loss for explanation. Don't we want to talk? Don't we want to understand one another, and help each other to alter attitudes as need be?

If we can't talk, what can we do? If we can't talk, where will our lack of communication take us? That fear alone should cause us to talk rather than shut others out.


 

 

No comments: