Sunday, May 2, 2021

Peeping Marty

Peeps: the marshmallow sugar infused confection (I'm guessing confection as they don't really seem like candy) we love to hate whose eyes are never quite straight. That makes them cockeyed Peeps I guess. But when you got 'em you gotta eat 'em, right?

I just ate a package of five. They're not nearly so caloric as I would have expected. All five were only a total of 140 calories, so they haven't busted my diet. What I eat the rest of the day will see to that, believe me. But, again, ya got 'em, ya eat 'em.

What struck most was the best by date, though. The package was marked best by January...wait for it...2023. So I could have found them in an old Easter basket stuffed on a shelf in my closet at Christmas 2022, not one but TWO Christmases from now, and they'd still be, well, I suppose fresh.

Were these designed for bomb shelters? Do doomsday preppers stockpile them? One and half, no, better than one year and nine months from now they'd still be fresh. And that's really only the best by date we're talking about. How long would they be any good after that? 

Maybe Peeps are the new Spam. They made the first batch in 1937. They're making the second batch next year.

My apologies. I should have offered a trigger warning for an immanent Dad joke there.


No comments: