Sunday, September 12, 2021

Amos and Joe feud over locks

Me Grandpa Joe and Amos Sheffield were great friends. I've wrote about that here:

https://thesublimetotheridiculous.blogspot.com/2018/10/amos-and-alice.html

I've wrote about in other spots too but that should illustrate my point. But as good friends share many episodes in life, there are other examples with which to regale you. Here is one such other.

Joe and Amos once bought a car together. Now, Joe never was one to lock his car. I don't know why. I will not even conjecture as to why. Joe did what he did because that was what he done. That's just how it was.

Amos always locked his car doors. This included the car he owned with his good friend Joe. It would infuriate Joe whenever he went to drive the thing to find the doors locked. Granted, it was even back in the day a simple thing to unlock a car door. No matter to Joe; locking cars, again, was not what he did.

He finally confronted Amos about it, insisting his buddy not lock the car. "It's my car too, Joe, and I prefer to lock the doors," Amos insisted.

As a gentleman always seeking compromise above all (how many of my friends and relatives who knew Joe Cosgriff are snickering right now, I wonder?) Joe retorted, "Well it's half my car, so my two doors stay unlocked!"

You can't meet anyone halfway better than that now, can you?







No comments: