Sunday, June 5, 2022

Or Can You?

As you might know, I have words and sayings which I use regularly. So did me Pops, such as, 'That'd stink a dog off a gut wagon'. So did me Grandpa Joe with, 'I ain't hell on pretty'. Well, me Uncle John had a routine phrase which he actually disliked: "You can't miss it."

When giving directions, he believed, you never told someone they can't miss it. They will. If he was being given directions, he knew that, once enlightened with the fateful phrase, he would miss it. To him, the words never failed to give the opposite outcome.

He didn't believe in the fates or jinxes of course. It was more that anything can go wrong, anything can be 'missed'. The right thing to do was simply give the directions and don't mix opinion into it. Answer the question about how to go where and find what, and leave it at that.

I hope you get his point. Because, of course, you can't miss it.

No comments: