Saturday, December 3, 2022

Christmas Stamp Confusion

I don't use snail mail very often these days, but there are still things I do which require the aid of the United States Postal Service. Whenever I need stamps during the Christmas Season, I make it a point to buy the ones with Mary and the baby Jesus on them. He is the reason for the season, right?

While at the counter of the local post office the other day, I asked for this year's Madonna stamps. The clerk looked at me quizzically. "I don't think we have Madonna stamps. She's not dead yet."

Looking back at her quizzically myself I'm sure, she responded to my unspoken question, "Madonna. The singer."

"No, no," I answered. "Madonna and child. Mary and the baby Jesus."

A look of absolute horror jumped onto the young woman's face. "Oh, no! I've said something really bad!" she responded, covering her mouth in sheer terror.

"Oh, I don't think so. It's an honest mistake," I assured her.

I was able to buy the right stamps. And I'm not sure you have to have passed on to be on a postage stamp either. Still, I hope she doesn't feel too bad about it, because I am sure her confusion was honest enough.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your response was great! I would not have thought of Madonna the singer at all. LOL!!