Friday, October 14, 2022

Marty Moneychanger

Back when I was curling in Canada, it wasn't unusual for me to have Canadian money on me, at least during curling season. That would be April until October, just to satisfy all of you who are intensely interested in such trivial information. As such, I didn't mind a few extra Cabucks every now and then.

It so happened that one fine day I was in my bank here in Detroit when I noticed a bit of quiet consternation at the teller's window next to me. The teller was explaining apologetically to a young couple,  "I'm sorry, but I just can't exchange currency if you don't have an account here." They were Canadian and wanted US money.

"We only need a few American dollars," the guy was replying. The teller shook her head, holding out her arms to indicate her hands were tied. Policy, you know.

I interjected myself into the conversation. "How much do you need?"

The couple, startled a bit, turned to me. They considered their options and answered, "Just 40."

"To the best of my knowledge it's about par right now," I replied, meaning that Canadian and US dollars were about equal at the time. "I'll give you forty US for forty Canadian."

Hesitantly but gratefully, the man produced two Canadian twenties from his wallet. I gave him two of our Jacksons for it. "You can trust Mr. Cosgriff," the teller assured them.

Smiling broadly, the young man and the young woman blurted out together, "Thank you."

Just being a humble servant to Canadians in distress, that's all.

No comments: