Sunday, April 24, 2022

The More Things Change

While watching my Detroit Tigers yesterday afternoon - the home team is always my team, and why not? - I noticed that the starting pitcher, Tarik Skubal, wore number 29. My first thought was, honestly, 'but Mickey Lolich is 29'. It took a moment to remind myself that that great Tiger lefty was number 29. It's not exclusively Mickey's marker.

I thought that knowing others have worn the number since Lolich hung up his spikes; Nate Robertson, another Tiger southpaw, comes to mind. Yet because Lolich wore it when I was a young Tiger fan, as they were becoming my team, he will always be #29. Exactly like #24 will always be Mickey Stanley. Nothing personal and no offense, Miguel Cabrera. You are indeed one of the all time greats. No Detroit Tiger will wear number 24 after you. It's just that there was a 24 before you, that's all.

I'm not the only one, am I? It's as though who we grew up with are impressed into our being. I think that's just how our minds work, don't you?




No comments: