Friday, April 8, 2022

Opossum Wars

Are they good or bad? Dangerous or not? Damned if I know.

I saw this morning for about the umpteenth (how many is umpteenth anyway?) time a meme which basically asserted that opossum are the saviors of the world. They eat radioactive decay, and appear to be our neighborhood John Rambo, actively destroying all dangerous encroachers and keeping us safe from sure destruction at the hand of subversive infiltrators. O-kay.

Then there are memes which say very nearly the exact opposite. Those cute little rodents are the bane of humanity who will make a rightly scared population pray for the salvation of nuclear holocaust. The disease ridden little furrowers will give you every imaginable illness. Indeed if they bite you they will infuse their deadly poisons into your very DNA, even the DNA of your children who are already born. Yikes!

The truth is, I don't know. I don't really care. If they'll leave me alone I'll leave them alone. It's just interesting to see the lengths supporters and detractors of opossum will go to to demonize their opponents while heaping praise upon themselves. You'd think it was politics, for crying out loud.

No comments: