Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Righteous Anger

Since I seem to be going on about my work lately - why stop when you're on a roll? - let me tell you about a very safe repair that yet managed to set me off yesterday.

I worked on anchoring a cable inside a drain snake for more than a hour Tuesday morning, and so help me if I could get it done. It was something I have done dozens, maybe even a couple hundred times in my life, generally in a matter of minutes, yet that dadburn anchor would not go into place. Despite trying all the tricks that I knew, and you do learn a lot of different approaches even for the same job over time as sometimes one way works, sometimes another, it was total frustration. A complete no-go. I could not get that anchor in place. I finally decided the hell with it and went home for a sandwich and cup of coffee.

After lunch I went back to the old barn still stewing over that bloody miserable repair. But it had to get done, so I might as well get right back at it, you know? And that stupid little so-and-so absolutely popped smack into place. I was done in five minutes.

That actually upset me all the more. I was madder than the proverbial old wet hen. Why in the world did it not go so very easily before? How had I offended the drain snake gods in the morning, that they were nevertheless miraculously appeased by 12:30? Was someone yanking my chain? I had to remind myself, albeit through clenched teeth, that it was a good thing the job was done. Wasn't that what I wanted?

Well, yes. At Ten AM. By early afternoon I had planned on being three repairs or so beyond that anchor, to have it tease me like that. 

I'm still mad. But I'll let it go eventually. Some day.

No comments: