Saturday, October 8, 2022

Hessel in October

Perhaps it's only because I don't live here, and consequently the seasons don't change gradually but appear to be spontaneous, existing almost on a whim. But Hessel in October is a world turned upside down.

I was sitting in total darkness on the front porch with a cup of coffee yesterday morning at 6 AM. In June, the Sun is already out by that point, and I'm typically reading a book or newspaper in natural light. My walk might begin by 5:15 as I could see clearly in the early break of day. Today it will be 8 or so before I start such exercise. I don't want to be mistaken for a prowler or other such miscreant.

The sky was cloudless and full of stars, again at 6 O'clock. During summer months the only decent stargazing isn't until at least 11 PM and begins to fizzle by 4:30. The evening creeps up too. I had to give up my outdoor reading before 7:30 last night. Horrors. And it's quite cold enough that it isn't comfortable sitting outside or in the garage for too long.

Yet even with the shorter and colder days, it's still Hessel. That's a good thing. 

No comments: