Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Mile Marker 288

For years in driving to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan I've been impressed with the view on Interstate 75 at mile marker 288 as you head north. The vast sea of green, set into a low valley which stretches seemingly forever as the highway veers softly left has always been impressive. I long thought it would be gorgeous during the fall colors.

Last Thursday I had the chance. As I made my way past Gaylord I found myself watching the mileage closely simply to not miss the view. It was not disappointing.

The bad thing is there's no real way to accurately describe it. The reds and oranges and golds were spectacular as they retreated quietly into the horizon. I wish I had more time to study it, but driving 75 miles an hour on I-75 in moderate traffic would not allow it.

But I am glad I finally had the chance to see it.

No comments: