Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Shaving Psychology

Psychology is a science of which I have always been skeptical. I don't want to argue that it has no merit. Perhaps I simply don't understand it. Still, conjecture about what exactly is happening and why in a human mind strikes me as a sort of hubris. How can an outside individual actually know that?

Anyway, and I'm not sure if this counts as psychological, I tried an experiment to see exactly how much of a hold certain habits may have on me. I have shaved the exact same way for years; a stripe by the nose past my mouth on my left, then on the right. Next I shaved from the sideburn on my left, then on my right. Lastly I did my chin, and then directly under my nose.

I went to shave under my chin first the other day, and honestly had to make myself do it. It was as though a tug of war was going in my brain: You don't start there! One swipe alongside from by your nose on the left, down past the mouth! What are you thinking? 

Then I shaved under my nose and then by the sideburns, all the while feeling like it was wrong. Just. Plain. Wrong. It almost felt sinful.

I'm back to shaving like always. You have to be careful about fights where sharp objects are involved.


No comments: