Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Oh-Kay

Yesterday, seeing as I was running out of business cards, I hopped online and ordered new ones. Everything was fine until it came to complete the order. Even then there were no real issues, but I had to stifle a bemused chuckle at one point. 

The company requested my address, which of course I wanted them to have precisely so I could get my order. I duly typed it in the spaces provided for such important nuance. Hitting enter, a window immediately opened, proudly proclaiming that the Internet Powers That Be had found a better address to use than the one I had offered. How much better? It added 'Street' after my street name. That's all. Instead of my order simply coming to Avery, it could apparently come more efficiently to Avery Street.

Good catch there, Internet. What would I do without you?

2 comments:

Paul said...

Some months back, I learned that this is now a *very big deal* with the USPS.

I tried to mail a package to [number] West Warren, but the Post Office would not accept it until the address label said "West Warren Avenue."

Now when I mail something, I frequently have to look up the address on Google Maps to find out whether it's a street, road, avenue, boulevard, or whatever. I'd rather take the time than give them an excuse to ignore the mailing, or to return it to me five weeks later with an "Insufficient Address" rubber stamp on it.

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

I get that, but it just seems silly...