Sunday, February 5, 2023

Who Needs Him?

Father Jernej Sostar is the pastor of Our Lady of the Snows in Hessel, Michigan, the Church I attend when I'm in Michigan's Glorious Upper Peninsula. I like him. His homilies are to the point, and you can learn from them.

One of my favorites came in the summer of 2022. He was speaking about how we all need Jesus because we all need His grace and forgiveness. Not a one of us is perfect, yet He is willing to help us along the road to personal improvement. But we have to understand that need first. If we don't, we won't ask Jesus to help, because we're not open to it. And then, of course, we may not get it. Jesus respects our free will that much.

Roughly paraphrasing the good priest, if we think we're okay as we are, if we tell Jesus 'I'm a good guy as I am' then Our Lord is liable to say, "Then what do you need me for? If you're already certain you're fine as you are, I can't help. I'll go help someone else." 

Basically, if you aren't examining who and what you are and trying to honestly assess your own level of good or badness, you aren't open to Christ's help because you believe you don't need it. Where will such thoughts lead, or leave, us?

No comments: