Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Pointed TP

I don't stay in hotels often. But I am living out of one for most of this week as I attend a trade show. And I am struck by some of the amenities.

They're all good, mind you. I'm making no complaints. Nice big rooms, plenty of hot water, microwave oven, refrigerator, color TV; and what coffee lover doesn't love the single cup Keurigs at their service? I even brought several extra coffee pods because the two they leave you are nowhere near enough for a true coffee hound. But I quibble.

Still, I find myself obsessing over things such as, why do they bother to the fold the ends of the toilet paper into triangles? Why is the first facial tissue out of the box fluffed out into a design of some sort (I can't actually tell what it's supposed to be, but I assume a flower of some kind). Why do I get a washcloth folded origami style into a little fan? Are people actually impressed by these efforts?

None of it would encourage me to stay in any particular place. Don't misunderstand; I love the hotel I'm in. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again. I'll almost certainly house myself in this very same establishment for the 2024 version of this show.

Only not for the origami washcloths. I simply can't imagine stuff such as that mattering to a traveler. "Oh, we can't stay there. They don't have the toilet paper ends folded into triangles.' I mean, who even considers these things?

The first person who says, clearly you Marty, gets a smack on the head with a wet spaghetti noodle. I'm not thinking about this, I'm reacting to it. So. There.

No comments: