Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Shakespearean Dragnet

Dragnet was a popular police procedural (I love alliteration) show from 1951-1958 and again from 1967-1970. Few people do not know the four beat lead in: dum-da-dem-dum. Most are likely familiar with the rapid fire delivery of lines by the actors too. 

At first glance the acting is almost comical. Does anyone really talk that way? Of course not. But the more I watch reruns the more I like the approach. Abrupt, but to the point. Once you get into the flow of it you take to the style.

I've heard it said that Shakespeare is much the same: you have to get into the rhythm of the writing. Although I've read little of the Bard, when I do I find it relatively easy going as soon as I'm one with the cadence.

This morning I find myself believing that the styles might mesh well in a new detective show. "Gadzooks! Yon felon escapes custody! Apprehend the dastardly miscreant forthwith, Yeoman Friday!

It's just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute, Marty. Love it!