Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Pleasantly Surprised

When I need nuts and bolts I go to American Integrated Supply on Grand River in Detroit near me. They were originally called Perry Bolt, which I liked much better because it was easier to say. C'est la vie.

This morning I went in looking for some self locking nuts. Such things have a layer of plastic above the threads which is forced out when tightened in order to offer a more secure fit. At least, I think that's how they work. All I really knew was that I needed about 20 and figured that Perry, er, American Integrated Supply, would have them.

I didn't think they'd be a king's ransom. But as nuts and bolts go I expected anywhere from 50 cents to a buck apiece, seeing as similar sizes to what I wanted yet non-locking were maybe five to eight cents each. Imagine my surprise when the 20 cost a mere two dollars. Ten cents each.

"I expected them to be more," I remarked to the counterman.

"No, they aren't really that expensive," he replied.

When a fella goes from a ten to twenty dollar purchase down to two bucks, he fells good. The little things in life, right?

No comments: