Sunday, July 2, 2023

Where Oh Where

Where's Phil isn't quite like Where's Waldo. Very like our famous picture book friend, me brother Phil can get lost in a crowd. It's his strength. Even at that, I found myself wondering just where the hell he was last Thursday.

We run the Shop fairly loosey-goosey, so I wasn't all that concerned when he was a few minutes late. I assumed he had some little chore to deal with. I'd take it out of his pay.

When he wasn't around by the time I decided to go for lunch I thought, well, maybe he's got a doctor's appointment which I forgot about. I just locked up and went home for a sandwich.

But after lunch, still no Phil. I began to go from a little miffed to a point of some worry. You know, with all the usual suspects: there was an accident, he had our brother Patrick at the doctor's and some mildly emergency tests needed to be run, that sort of thing. Yet it wasn't like him not to call or text, so part of me was upset about that.

Right around 2:30 I decided that I might lock up and stop by his house. Patrick lives there too and if they weren't out together, maybe he knew what was up. 

It was then that Phil pulled up by the Shop door. He walked around to the side and opened the sliding door of his van to remove the drains snakes he had picked up. That's when I remembered that I had sent him to Toledo to do some running around for the business. I had instructed him the night before not to bother coming up to the old barn but to head to Ohio when he was ready. 

He might have told me he was actually going to do that, though.

No comments: