Sunday, September 24, 2023

Citi Field

Last Sunday me and me son Frank saw the Cincinnati Reds play the New York Mets at the home of the Mets, Citi Field. It's in Queens in New York City. Yeah, I keep hearing the King of Queens theme too.

It sits right next to where Shea Stadium, the second home of the Mets, had been. The team had played their first two years at the Polo Grounds, which the Giants called home before they high-tailed it to San Francisco. A commemorative home plate is set in the Citi parking lot where Shea's plate had been. So too are the bases and the pitching rubber marked out. It's a nice tribute; we checked them out.

I like the new stadium. The seats everywhere are reasonably close to the field, just like at PNC Park in Pittsburgh and new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. You can really tell the difference between them and Comerica Park here in the D, where the seats are noticeably farther from the diamond. I realize it was built a few years earlier than those three and that perhaps technology changed in that time, but man, the Detroit Tigers dropped the ball bad on that issue. Watching a game here can feel like the players are in a canyon compared to the others I mention. 

Citi Field is totally enclosed. I like that. No tripe about the wonderful view: I go to a baseball game to see baseball, not aN unrelated vista no matter how grand. The amenities were great; the Mets museum in particular was a joy to behold. When you get chills like I did seeing things from another team's history, you appreciate that the game is more important than the teams.

So I recommend it. If you're in The Big Apple and have the chance, go to Citi Field. New Yankee Stadium I highly recommend too.






No comments: