Monday, September 25, 2023

Pennsylvania Autumn

Driving back from New York City last weekend, I noticed that the trees in Pennsylvania had already begun to turn. There wasn't a ton of color, and most of it was at it or near the tops. But reds and oranges were poking about the green.

It didn't seem normal to me. Last Monday when travelling it was still technically summer. If you were to draw a line directly east from Detroit, I would have been south of it. There's been no sign of fall colors here.

Don't get me wrong. It was nice to see and broke up the journey, which is great when traversing Pennsylvania. It always seems to take an inordinate amount of time to cross, even though it's only 310 miles. I drive just about that far (306 miles) on the freeway going to Hessel in da UP. Why does it feel longer on Interstate 80 through the Keystone State?

The simple answer is that it's Pennsylvania and not Michigan. I'm used to Michigan, so the time doesn't seem the same. But I appreciate Pennsylvania's effort to make the journey more pleasant.

No comments: