Sunday, September 10, 2023

The Detroit Lions, 2023 Style

All right, I've been good. I've waited four whole days before becoming the wet blanket, the stick in the mud. But all the ballyhoo over a season opening win is quite a bit over the top, friends.

I will freely admit that things do indeed feel different with these Detroit Lions. Coach Campbell is daring and almost too aggressive. I like that. Sort of.

However, I've seen too many games like last Thursday's upset of the Chiefs to be too confident in the Lions just yet. They blasted the New England Patriots not that long ago in what was supposed to be a statement game for Matt Patricia. Nothing came of it.

They blasted Dallas 30 years ago in their only playoff win since 1957. Nothing came of it.

I've seen in my life the Lions lose playoff games by absurd scores like 5-0 and 58-31. I've seen them lose playoff games where a normally reliable kicker (Eddie Murray) missed a field goal which set the Lions in a free fall for a half decade. 

I've seen too many things beyond their control go against them. I'm looking at you, on field officials. You miss as much as a WWE referee. Dumb NFL rules have hurt Detroit too. And one of these days that Campbell aggression will become foolhardy and burn the team. Bad.

In short, one win at the start of the regular season means diddly. To be fair, the coach and players themselves appear to realize that and seem to be acting accordingly. There were no over the top celebrations in the locker room.

That's the right attitude, because that's all there is right now. Again, I feel good about these Lions myself. But I've felt that way before. I can't be too excited about this one game.

We'll talk again after a home playoff win in January. If it comes, because there's still a long way to go.

No comments: