Thursday, July 26, 2018

Good times I remember (with help)

I like the memories section on facebook. It reminds me of neat things, good people, and fun times. Fun times such as two years ago these very days on a visit east.

I found Newark, New Jersey is surprisingly cosmopolitan when I did not expect it. I had originally reserved that positive judgment for Manhattan Island. I am impressed by my error. I suppose what changed my mind was having a drink in an Irish pub Saturday evening. If there's an Irish pub, it's a civilized enough place.

After visiting with my son and his fiancee, which was the highlight of my adventure and I mean that despite what detractors shall assert, I most enjoyed seeing Fenway Park in Boston. And New York City impressed me in ways beyond simple prose. Liberty Island, Ellis Island; the reflecting pools where WTC 1 and WTC 2 once stood. Marvelous. We are one nation. It was quiet as we watched the water stream over the black marble of the fountains which make the 9/11 memorial, despite the thousands walking and talking nearby. You really only heard the pools. You only heard the soft voices they made. They spoke powerfully.

Then Boston, which my son and I drove up to see, was pretty cool too. It's New York's sister, if they would both agree to the relationship. She has faced her attackers too. I'm not sure that I've experienced anything close to singing Sweet Caroline so deeply as the Red Sox nation sings it during seventh inning stretches at Fenway. Sweet Caroline, silence, then 38 thousand responses asserting "dun dun dah". Being part of it just once pleases me deeply.

I wish I had taken Pops to Fenway. I think even he would have said, pumping his fist, dun, dun, dahhh. He loved the spirit of the game that much. He would have liked the Tiger Stadium feel as well.

The homesteads of President John Adams (he had two) seemed country and quiet despite having been gobbled up by the Boston suburbs. I'm really not big on historic preservation (we tend to over-preserve, if we are honest about it) but I'm happy those two spots have been kept as they were. They are oases among the sprawl.

So thank you facebook memories. You've served me well this week.

No comments: