Friday, July 13, 2018

Questioning rentals

When a significant part of your job is making deliveries, sometimes you need a larger vehicle than what you have. And while my reliable old Chevy Venture with the heavy springs (I'm trying to think of a name for her: Betty? Veronica? Cloyce?) is great for most loads, from time to time I find I need to rent a bigger van. When that happens I go to U-Haul. You know, U-Haul: where you go when you feel like being a moving advertisement.
They have ads all over their trucks and vans. I get that. I know that's their right as they try to drum up business and keep their name out there. But what I don't get is the mixed message they send. Everything they have asks and answers: Need a van? Rent this one!
So, how do I take that? I have imagined being stopped somewhere only to have a guy come up to me, "I want to rent that van."
I reply, "But I'm renting it."
"So? I need a van and yours clearly states that I can rent it."
Or does it mean that I can sub-rent it? Perhaps I can tell that guy, "Yeah, okay, here's the keys. Need any moving materials?"
Well, how else do you interpret it?




No comments: