Friday, July 27, 2018

Perspective

Several weeks ago, I found I was at a point far down Trumbull about halfway through my morning constitutional. Walking northward, I saw the boom of a crane in the distance. Yet within a few blocks it was no longer there. 'Must've moved on,' I thought to myself.

A few days later I was back in roughly the same place, and I saw the boom again. That was odd, I thought. But you see construction equipment all the time in and around Detroit so I figured it was a different one. In another few blocks though it also disappeared. I must admit I was perplexed, but I shrugged it off and went home.

When I spied the boom of a crane north off Trumbull yet again in the coming weeks I had to investigate. I determined to walk up the street all the way to the machine just to solve the mystery. But me being me, my thoughts wandered, and before long the crane was again gone, as if into the ether. I had to keep going then. Something was amiss.

As I came into the clearing created by Wayne State University's Matthei Field I saw that the crane had returned. Or, more correctly, my line of sight was no longer blocked. The crane was part of new construction at Henry Ford Hospital. It seemed to disappear only because as I neared it the trees between it and I, being taller in perspective, hid it.

I must admit I felt a bit stupid. But that's nothing new either.

No comments: