Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Malted at Comerica Park

My attendance at this past Sunday's Detroit Tigers baseball game was fortuitous. Certainly not because of the Tigers, of course. They lost 8-1, having appeared to have mailed in their performance quite frankly. Yet something good came from the day just the same: I discovered that Comerica has again began offering chocolate malt cups.

My family and I loved them at old Tiger Stadium, those initially rock solid six ounce cups of some sort of chocolate ice cream. They used to come with stout wooden sticks, and the malt was so hard that the first several helpings were shavings rather than scoops of chocolate. I get that, though. The contents had to be super cold to withstand the stadium sales process on hot summer days. Sunday we were given plastic spoons. But the result was the same. And it came with a wonderful nostalgia.

I loved the taste and, truthfully, the fact that it does take awhile to consume a malt cup. Hot dogs are gone in ninety seconds, nachos in mere minutes. Malt cups lasted a couple of innings, matching the treat nicely with the properly laid back nature of baseball. Sure, they're up to five bucks now where they were two the last time we found them more than ten years ago. But I was so excited that I immediately texted the news to my family.

Why not? Given that the one I just purchased was frozen more solid than Antarctica, I knew I had time. And I know now that it'll get them to the ballpark with me.

No comments: