Thursday, May 14, 2020

The old Carhartt

Sentiment is all well and good, and Carhartts are great work coats. Still, they each have their limits.

Every bit of twenty five years ago me Pops gave me a great Carhartt winter work coat. It was given to him but didn't fit, so he re-gifted it to me.

I've worn that thing every winter for, well, twenty five years. And the fact is that the coat itself is worn, as in out. It's quite ratty and the pockets have holes large enough that you can't keep stuff in them. I almost lost my keys one day over the winter because they fell through such a hole. Luckily it was at the old barn so I heard them hit the cement floor. But if I were anywhere else, who knows?

I should have tossed the coat several years ago really. But psychologically for me it had become Dad's coat, so I just kept on wearing it.

Tomorrow however it goes into the trash. I've resolved to that; enough is enough, and it's had its day. And if it stays in my closet until November I know I'll talk myself into using it for just one more winter.

So, out with the old. Even if it's Dad's coat. I'm sure he'll understand.

No comments: