Friday, May 15, 2020

Update from 5/14

As I said yesterday, sentiment can go overboard. So can a great many other things too.

In yesterday's blog I vowed to toss out my old, ragged work coat. You can read about that here:

https://thesublimetotheridiculous.blogspot.com/2020/05/the-old-carhartt.html

Today I carried out that vow.

After I had gathered a few items and set them by the curb, I duly and somberly trudged back upstairs to grab the old Carhartt. I double checked the leaky pockets just be sure I hadn't left anything worthwhile in them. I mean, we've all occasionally stuck our hands in an old pocket and pulled out an unexpected ten or a twenty, have we not? Then, admittedly with a wistful sigh, I elected to drape the coat around me one last time.

Now's where the fun began.

I consciously decided that the occasion demanded ritual. Holding my head high and regally, I opened the bedroom door and marched aloof to the stairs, defying the idea of rejecting an old friend casually. Treading every step with exactly the right amount of purpose and pomposity, I made my way to the front door.

Opening it, I continued my procession to the waste receptacle. Yes, waste receptacle, because trash can is below the dignity of the moment. Arriving at the receptacle, I methodically removed the old Carhartt, then held it in the air for a few solemn seconds above the gaping maw of the hungry waste retainer. I then let the coat slip gently from my grasp, to fall delicately upon the bags of refuse in anticipation of the arrival of the trash morticians. Closing the lid slowly, I walked away.

May as well have fun with this, eh?


No comments: