Wednesday, August 18, 2021

124 over 72

At the second of my twice yearly checkups Monday, all my numbers were good. Cholesterol was good, A1C was good, vitamin D was fine, and my blood pressure was 124/72. My doctor was fine with that. I was ecstatic; my BP had been creeping high for about a year and a half and I fully expected to be given meds for it if it had stayed up. 

I almost hate saying things like this, because we all have stories of someone bragging about how good their health was and then keeling over a minute later. But I feel great, better honestly than I have in twenty years, physically and mentally. Seeing that blood pressure drop almost 25 points can help an outlook too. I guess there is something to that exercise thing.

Still, the doc did have to take a minute to excoriate me about something. "You could stand to lose 10 to 15 pounds, Mr. Cosgriff. After all, you've gained two pounds since February."

What is it about doctors and weight? "You've gained two pounds since February," I wanted to say in a mocking voice. Come on, doc, everything's great. Two pounds in six months is, what, 2/3 of a pound a month. Okay, maybe technically I am headed in the wrong direction there. But I ain't exactly eating myself to death either. 

But, all right, I have until next February, me Mom's birthday in fact, when my next appointment has been set, to drop 10-15 pounds. But if I actually do, a big if in itself I concede, I can't help but wonder what he might find to complain about instead. 



No comments: