Saturday, August 14, 2021

What baseball means to me

If family and baseball means anything to you at all, try keeping a dry eye watching the opening to the Field of Dreams game. I couldn't.

I actually began to write this missive yesterday (the game was Thursday) but could not. I loved the movie; I loved the sentiment even more. When Kevin Costner walked out of the cornfield I choked up. It continued watching the White Sox and Yankees follow him onto the field a couple minutes later. I had absolute, deep seated chills.

True, in the movie Ray Kinsella and his dad were estranged and that gave the story greater poignancy. But damn, I ain't wanted to have a catch with the old man so much in years. I still remember the last one; it's been too long.

One of the last things I did for him, (for me too I suppose) was go out and buy a brand new, authentic Major League baseball and give it to him for his journey. We're going to have a catch with it someday. Hell, he can even scuff it up a bit playing ball up there in the meantime. 

No comments: