Friday, August 27, 2021

Why I'm conservative, reason number 1,362

I had to make a bank deposit yesterday which included cash among the few checks I had. In chatting with the teller she informed me, just in conversation as I wasn't putting anywhere near those kinds of greenbacks into my account, that every cash deposit of over $10,000 must be reported to the IRS. The justification is that it helps them spot illegal activity, drug runners and money launderers and such.

That galls me. To cut to the chase, it ain't the government's business how much money or in what manner I put it in the bank. It's presumption of guilt, plain and simple. If they believe I'm committing a crime they need to get warrants after they discover just cause. Period.

A large cash deposit in and of itself isn't just cause. Perhaps a fellow had been sticking money in a mattress for years and decided it would be safer in a bank. Yet the particulars don't matter. If the IRS believes I'm doing ill it needs to prove it through due process, not by legally requiring notifications without cause. It's immoral.

The last time I looked we're innocent until proven guilty. We're not supposed to be compelled to testify against ourselves, as such laws force us to do. And that's another reason, really two, why I'm a conservative with strong libertarian feelings.


No comments: