Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Pops intimidates Cloyce

I spoke of me Pops' judicious use of anger yesterday. When I said it could have a great effect, I meant it.

About twenty years ago an old family friend, I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name, dropped into the Shop for a visit. He was treated to a rare but entirely justified outburst on Dad's part.

I don't remember anymore what exactly the issue was, but this customer just kept picking at Dad, and picking at him, and picking at him. About the fourth time through the old man exploded and let the guy have what for, quickly ordering him out of the Shop with an absolute flourish. The fella deserved every bit of it too.

While I stood at the ready in case me Pops needed me for backup, I nevertheless kept at my task. But I could see Cloyce's eyes grow bigger, his jaw dropping in slow motion as he took in the scene. He was riveted by the display of anger, and I think rather impressed as well.

When Dad had finished with the guy, he stomped into the office. Cloyce slowly sidled over to me, all the time never taking his eyes from the office door. "Marty?" he asked in a whisper when he was next to me at the workbench.

"Yeah?" I asked back in quiet conspiracy.

"Remind me never to get Bill mad at me." Cloyce was clearly intimidated, and the anger wasn't anywhere near being addressed to him.

And I bet he never did do anything close to setting the old man off.

No comments: