Saturday, August 28, 2021

Then it got good.

It was boring until it got good.

My first live baseball game in two years at Comerica Park last night was a dull one. Aside from an over the fence catch by Tiger centerfielder Derek Hill which robbed visiting Toronto of a home run, nothing much had happened.

Then Victor Reyes pinch hit leading off the Eighth.

He hit a line drive which centerfielder Josh Palacios dove for. Yet he missed, and the ball bounded all the way to the fence. I think everyone in the stadium thought it could be an inside the park home run, given Reyes' speed. I mean, he has wheels. Sure enough, he turned it on and scored rather easily with a head first slide. I had never seen an inside the park home run live, so that was a treat. It gave the Tigers a 2-1 win.

The fact is that I almost missed it. I had had a long day on the road and was very tired. I never leave games early - I've done it twice and once missed a great comeback - but was considering doing exactly that last night. I was that tired. But that little voice in my head urged me to stay. 

I'm glad I listened. Inside the parkers are rare, especially game winning ones. It was worth the fatigue I still feel this morning.

No comments: