Sunday, August 1, 2021

Shillelagh

I want a walking stick. More specifically, I want a shillelagh. It's pronounced shill-lay-lee. Don't ask me why. I can't hardly figure out English spelling sometimes let alone Irish.

It's a walking stick of a style popular in Ireland. I figure since I walk 5-6 mornings per week depending on circumstance a shillelagh might be a nice addition to my hikes. It would give me the look of a man about town. That is, if a man about town is supposed to look like he really ought to be out in the countryside.

My only question is whether it would be a help or a hindrance. Would it help my pace or slacken it?

Of course I could simply pretend I'm Gandalf, if I could figure out a way to put a light bulb at the top end. And shillelaghs are supposed to double as weapons. Who knows? I might save the day with a shillelagh.

Nah, I'd more likely just look like the neighborhood kook. Quiet Ron.



No comments: